Aeon Timeline version 0.8 is now available for download.
In the last two months I have been working feverishly with a user interface design guru, who contacted me a couple of months ago and offered to provide assistance in taking the existing application towards a slicker and more current design ready for a commercial release.
Apparently, what this meant was he would apply his user interface design experience to completely re-design the interface, send me mockup after mockup of ways to improve the look and feel of the timeline, re-design the logo to be a little more dock-friendly, and create all of the toolbar icons for me.
The end result, needless to say, is far superior to the previous version, and leaves me quite embarrassed about the application people have been using for the last several months.
As of today, my embarrassment can subside.
Here is a summary of changes for this version:
Unified User Interface
- The old Entity/Story Arc Views are no more. They have been combined into a single unified interface
- New toolbar toggles allow the user to turn on or off relationships (replacing Entity View) and group by arcs (replacing Story Arc View)
- Inspector is now available for Entities as well as Events
- Improved graphical layout and design makes the application much more attractive and user-friendly
- Context Bar made to look prettier.
- Many usability additions, such as right-click menus to bulk change labels, double click to edit entity/event names in place, etc.
- Updated toolbar with new custom-made toolbar icons
- Gesture support, etc.
Updated Event Filtering
- Filter Bar can now be hidden or shown with a toolbar option.
- Filter Bar neater and easier to use, and provides more filtering options
- Ability to save and load filters to make it easier to quickly switch between different groups of events
- Added ability to sync Aeon Timeline documents with Scrivener projects (see User Manual for details)
New XML File Format
- Switched to an XML file format to assist with future compatibility with other platforms (we may create a Windows or iPad version in future)
- Added support for new Lion features such as Auto-Save, Versions, and Full Screen
Follow the link for upgrade information.
Aeon Timeline supports automatic updates, which means you will be notified whenever an update is available, and able to download it directly within the program. If the program does not alert you automatically, you can choose ‘Check for Updates…’ from the Aeon Timeline menu.
Alternatively, you can download the latest version of the application by clicking on the Latest Version link at the top of the Blog page. The last beta was downloaded more than 500 times, and I hope even more users will test out this latest version. If you know other users who may be interested in the program and the direction the program is taking, please encourage them to take a look.