I have made a few promises about this for a while, but Aeon Timeline Version 0.6.0 has just been released. This new version is compatible with Snow Leopard and Leopard. Testing is still required for Tiger, but it will be made Tiger compatible in the future if there are any issues (please let me kn0w).
I would encourage everyone to update to this new release, and if you have not used Aeon Timeline for some time, I would suggest trying it again now, as you may have a pleasant surprise.
The focus for this release has been improving the usability and navigation around the timelines, and generally improving the user interface and adding minor interface features that have been missing for some time. A summary of the changes includes:
Much Improve Navigable Context Bar
- Cleaner, more attractive appearance
- Location of surrounding events to provide greater contextual awareness
- Scroll the timeline into view in the main window by dragging it underneath the highlighted area
- Double click to jump to that location in the timeline
- Adjust the zoom level by dragging the edges of the view highlight area
New Display HUD to control visible Entities and Story Arcs
- Brand new HUD window allows the user to show, hide and re-order Story Arcs or Entities (depending on view) in a more user-friendly and convenient manner
- Bring it up using the menu, keyboard shortcut, toolbar icon, or by double clicking on the Entity or Story Arc name areas within the main view
Updated Header Bar Filtering
- Events can now be filtered based on Tag, Entity, and Story Arc (was previously just Tags)
- Allows different Boolean Logic, including Any/All and And/Or.
- (This does have a display problem when the window is too small, which I will fix in a subsequent release)
Many more much-needed interface improvements
- Full Search capabilities, include Find Next, Find Previous to move between matching events
- The date picker control can now be switched between Month/Day and Day/Month formats in Preferences (via Aeon Timeline menu)
- The ‘Reveal’ button in the Inspector now scrolls to correct Y position in Story Arc View
- ‘Go To Date’ functionality available via menus and shortcuts
- New toolbar links to Manage Entities and Manage Story Arcs
Follow the link for upgrade information.
Aeon Timeline supports automatic updates, which means you will be notified whenever an update is available, and able to download it directly within the program. If the program does not alert you automatically, you can choose ‘Check for Updates…’ from the Aeon Timeline menu.
Alternatively, you can download the latest version of the application by clicking on the Latest Version link at the top of the Blog page. The last beta was downloaded more than 500 times, and I hope even more users will test out this latest version. If you know other users who may be interested in the program and the direction the program is taking, please encourage them to take a look.